5 Easy Steps to Manage Mould-Ridden Areas within the House
Moulds are not only annoying and ugly to look at but are also a threat to you and your family’s health. Before these moulds can spread any further, you’ll just have to take matters into your own hands and treat this mould-infestation that is ruining your beautiful home. You can follow these 5 easy steps in treating mould-ridden areas around your house – especially under the sinks.
- Gear up for battle.
Always dress up for the occasion. A proper outfit or specifically – a work wear, is necessary for every little thing that you do around the house. If you are planning on cleaning that mould-ridden area in your house – specifically under the sink, be sure that you wear a pair of gloves and a face mask. Moulds are health hazards and it’s best to avoid breathing in a handful of its foul and harmful odour so that your lungs won’t be affected.
- Identify the cause of the problem.
Moulds don’t show up from out of nowhere without a reason. They are probably summoned by the leaky pipes, poor ventilation, high humidity, and/or dysfunctional taps that keep on dripping. But if the cause appears to be related to your plumbing system, you have to shut off the main water supply before you can go on to your business of cleaning those mould-ridden areas.
- Dry off the affected area.
Moulds grow in a damp area. You can never see them growing in a very dry area as they need the moisture to thrive on. Dry off any damp areas around your house immediately to stop the moulds from spreading further into the nearby areas. You can use a wash cloth when doing this but make sure that you have your gloves on. Gotta keep those hands protected!
- Begin with the scrubbing.
Mix detergent with water and scrub the solution on the affected area. You can use an old toothbrush for this process but that’ll take quite a while to remove the moulds. You should scrub off moulds completely and thoroughly unless you want them to grow back in just a couple of days. Yes, they can grow that fast.
- Disinfect the area.
You can apply a simple yet effective disinfectant to everything that has come in contact with the moulds. Mix a ½ cup of bleach with a gallon of water and spray or apply the solution to the mould-ridden areas and surfaces close to it. Do not wipe off the solution but instead, let it dry on its own. Make sure that the whole area is well-ventilated and do not linger for a moment longer during this process.